The GroPockets Quick Mount system was developed to address some of the weaknesses inherent with the original sprinkler head and hanging towers approach to building vertical gardens. The Quick Mount system not only replaces the sprinkler assemblies, but provides an easier to use support system for the pipes.
It is equally suitable for both aquaponic and hydroponic vertical farms. Although hydroponic systems have less issues with suspended solids, they still benefit from easier construction and operation.
How it works - Patent Pending
It consist primarily of two components, a base and a top cap assembly which are mounted to a frame, either wood or steel. The PVC garden tower is captured between these two components to hold the pipe securely in place while also providing a simple way to remove the towers. The pipe can be lifted up till it clears the base and slid free.
The base captures the PVC pipe at the bottom with a loose fit so that biofilm can not lock the pipe in position like it will do with ordinary pipe fittings such as PVC Tees. The top has a flange that is mounted to the frame and an irrigation cap which rest in the flange. Water is fed into the cap with 1/4" tubing. There are many holes in the bottom of the cap around the outside edge. Water falls through those holes and into the inside of the pipe.
Water falls out of it and into the reservoir or drain pipe below the 2" hole at the bottom of the base.
Easier to build
Since the base and cap assembly are simply zip tied (for metal frames) or screwed (for wood frames) it is no long necessary to precisely cut and glue your upper and lower irrigation lines so they exactly match. The placement of the towers can be easily adjusted as needed.
Easier to operate
- Tall pipes can removed for planting and re harvest without getting on a ladder
- Pipe can be removed without interfering with the irrigation system or dealing with a cumbersome hanging apparatus
- Pipes can be rotated to face any direction at any time
- Spacing between towers can be easily changed, simply disconnect the flange from the frame and reposition the towers
- The cap can be lifted out for a quick rinse if needed without disconnecting the irrigation lines.
Extremely clog resistant
- Instead of a single sprinkler orifice the irrigation has a ring of relatively large holes that the nutrients can flow thru.
- Should all of those holes be clogged there is an overflow hole which routes the nutrients inside the GroPocket towers so nutrients continue to flow to plants
- The smallest main feed line uses 1/4" tubing connected via a female hose adapter so the full diameter of the hose is available and reduction happens at the very last stage.
Quick Mount Features
- Integrated 4" to 2" reducer
- Works with wood, pipe, or extrusion frames
- Integrated splash guard
- Requires less water than sprinkler system
- Available for both S&D and schedule 40/Metric 110 PVC pipe
- Cap with mounting flange
- Base with integral mounting flange
- Light blocking disk for cap with Stainless Steel Pull ring
- 3/4" Male to 1/4" female hose barb adapter
- 1/4" Vinyl Hose